Sunday, July 27, 2008

Palacios Weekend - Day 1

Went on a trip to the coast this past weekend with some good friends of mine. The main activity in the trip was a chartered boat ride.

Day 1: Getting there
I used Google maps to find the route from Austin to Palacios. I was delighted to see that you basically take Hwy. 71 until you hit the ocean. We hit the road around noon after packing the car. We had a lot of stuff but were able to make sure the cooler made it in. I made a mix CD for the occasion and we had fun listening to it on the way down. We were on ZZ Top as we drove into Palacios so it worked out perfect. We also stopped about 45 minutes outside of Palacios and bought a yellow watermelon from a stand on the side of the road. Once we got to Palacios, we dropped off our bags at the house and went shopping at the Super S Foods store. We decided to go out to eat that night, so we just picked up stuff for breakfast and lunch on Sunday.

We went to Outrigger for dinner. It was not exactly what we were expecting but it was pretty good. If you like fried things, you will love the Outrigger. We got done with dinner around 7 and went and got a preview of the boat. Our first impressions were "of concern" but I will describe that in the Day 2 post. Suffice it to say, much of the night of Day 1 was spent trying to think up excuses to cancel our trip.

We had already decided to come back to Outrigger for their 9pm - 2am "All the watered down American beer you can drink if you pour it yourself from a keg into this plastic mug" special. As most of you probably know, I am not a big beer drinker. However, I do like a bargain! And once I saw that the mugs were provided by Porter's Ace Hardware and Marine Supplies, I knew it.was.on. We ended up sitting around on their deck basting ourselves in Off and listening to Rudy the DJ. At 11:15, a neighbor called the cops due to the noise so we took the party inside. FYI - it's hard to regulate how much beer you have consumed when you pour watered down American beer yourself from a keg into a plastic mug. At this point, I am ready to go "out". As my friends attempted to explain to me, we were already "out" and were at the most happening place in town. I strenuously disagreed and sent some texts to friends expressing that sentiment. To appease me, Stephanie drove us to Scandalo's, the 2nd of 3 bars in town.

Here is a picture of Scandalo's. Nothing says class like a bar with the name spray-painted on the front of the building. Nadja and I entered the building, waited a polite amount of time (15 seconds) and then got the hell out. Stephanie then proceeded to take me home with me protesting a little less this time. I did however send one text that night that summed up my feelings "They won't let me do the Humpty-Hump :-( "



Day 2 Post to come!

P.S. I know the first paragraph is deathly boring but I just had to start writing something so I would actually produce a post. I'll try and either make it more interesting or edit it down.

2 comments:

Sirocco said...

Can hardly wait to see Day 2

Mom

Julie said...

LOL! I can't believe they denied you the humpty-hump!