Wednesday, July 2, 2008

~Day 3~ Second Day of Training

Trained another 23 students today - only 6 from last year. It still went well and today I took full advantage of the students I knew and put them to work immediately.

Some interesting things I jotted down to put in my blog - no rhyme or reason to them:
  • Men wear cropped pants here. These are definitely not shorts. They are about 6-8 inches above the ankle. They don't look as odd as you'd think.
  • My shower head at the hotel is at the very least 7 feet high. I just went into the shower to make sure I wasn't exaggerating. I am 5'6" and I can barely touch the shower head with the tips of my fingers if I don't tiptoe.
  • The accents over the o's and other letters in Hungarian like (ő) are called 'double acute accents' and I am physically unable to pronounce them.
  • They played a dirty trick on me at lunch. They handed me a beautiful bowl of cherries - and fruit is fairly uncommon - so I was looking forward to trying them. I popped one in my mouth and well - I don't even know how to describe it - but suffice it to say they were sour! I forgot that sour cherries (meggy) are a Hungarian thing. They put them in yogurt, pastries and even soup.
  • I think I mentioned this last time, but they say 'hello' for both 'hello' and 'bye'. It still amuses me and today when a group of students were walking out there was a little chorus of "hello!"

No comments: