Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Braces

So I'm getting braces next Thursday, the 24th at 3:00pm.

When I talked to the orthodontist today, he pretty much let me know that I'm getting a really good deal, because if I didn't have the insurance I do (which caps what he's allowed to charge), my treatment would be around [obscene amount of money here]. Luckily Metlife caps it so the whole thing will be [somewhat less obscene amount] minus [piddly amount insurance kicks in]. So it will be [Christmas present] next Thursday plus [reasonable price] per month for the next 22-24 months. Retainers and follows up are free!

Anyway, it's going to be quite a bit of work, including removing my one remaining baby tooth, which I had not realized I had created quite so much of an attachment to.

I am getting clear brackets on the top teeth and regular on the bottom. I did some research on the web and it says they won't stain or discolor.

For some of you who knew me in my younger years might be asking yourself - I thought Kate already had braces? Well, I did - around age 12 or so - but they have relapsed slightly so I thought I would take advantage of good insurance and get this done as my New Year's Resolution.

Here's a picture of a mouth with half and half so you can see the difference:



I will be providing braces updates every 4 to 6 weeks for the next 24 months.

Kate

5 comments:

Sirocco said...

The key question - am I allowed to point at you, laugh and make disparaging remarks more appropriate of a junior-high student next time I see you?

Unknown said...

I am offering good money for pics of Kate in nightgear!

Unknown said...

Orthodontists nowadays don't do headgear thank god. Only rubber bands. The rubber bands are still made by the same company though - rams, owls, monkeys, etc.

Unknown said...

I wouldn't know anything about braces, never had them... realy shame about the headgear.... ;)

Anonymous said...

I did it "several" years ago, just on the bottom.. I hope you are not in any discomfort Thursday night. If you are, take some Tylenol PM and sleep through it. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT go to a bar and try to drink yourself painfree. I can tell you from personal experience that it does not work!