Saturday, November 17, 2007

~Day 12~ Trip to Budapest

So I tagged along with Misty as she was going back to Austin and we stayed in Budapest on Friday night. I had already reserved a room at the Hilton Budapest for Saturday night.

We went and ate Friday night at a Italian/Hungarian restaurant. Misty had lasagna and I had goulash*. Yeah I think I've had enough goulash for a while now. There was also some interesting live music. Misty - send me the file and I'll post it for everyone's enjoyment.



*This is not a picture of my exact goulash but its fairly close.
On Saturday, poor Misty had to be up at 4:30am to get her flight. Thank goodness she didn't wake me up. :) After I checked out, I went to the train station to pick up my train ticket for Saturday. For some reason, you have to actually pay for it and pick it up 24 hours in advance. Then I walked around a bit before I went to my hotel. The hotel is on the "Buda" side. The Buda side is the West side of the Danube river. The Pest side is the East side. They say you go to Pest for dining/shopping and go to Buda for history. The Hilton is definitely right in the middle of the castle district. I got there, relaxed for a bit, watched some soccer and then went out and supported the Hungarian economy. I bought a bunch of souvenir-type stuff and then went to a Hungarian grocery story. Thanks to Cheli, I remembered not to shoplift plastic bags. You have to buy them separately. I think they are 15 forint each.

1 comment:

TexPatriate said...

Sounds like IKEA has taken that "paying for plastic bags" idea and run with it. They are asking for a nickel for each plastic bag that you use at their store.