Wednesday, November 28, 2007

~Day 23~ Only Three More Days Here and Chicken Boy Parts for Dinner

Wednesday, Thursday, and part of Friday. I am hoping to share a taxi with someone heading to Budapest on Friday afternoon. Attila the Receptionist is arranging it.

Work update as of 3:30pm. Just did announcement time for the data stewards. I distributed speeds to everyone and also told them the following things (writing this down because I need to give this same speech tomorrow morning):

Too fast is not good - slow down and focus on accuracy if you are above 350.
Already had 3 errors reported from Austin (2 that were not linked that should have been, 1 that was linked and should not have been <-- v. bad).
If you aren't sure, don't link it. We are not TRYING to make things link.
Don't Defer - Needs Research on a name issue - just resolve as singleton.
Report False positives to me
The occasional email or phone call is fine but I've seen people on the web, on instant messenger and working on papers and that is crossing the line. We want them to work without interruption not only to get the job done, but also so they get into a rhythm.
Told them I was leaving Friday and they would have a new supervisor - Vicky. I told them that she talks fast. :)

Non-work stuff: Went to a restaurant in downtown Debrecen with Dana and Anna.

We had a really neat dinner. Anna's main dish was a steak that was seared with a flat iron tableside. The iron looked like an old timey cast iron ummm iron like they used in Little House on the Prairie. I had grilled chicken with chicken testicles and cockscomb.

I made Dana and Anna try the comb but I was the only one brave enough to try the boy parts. I just HAD to try them. There were like 12 of the boy parts and like 6-8 of the combs. Had to keep telling myself "it's just culture it's just culture". Clarification: I did not EAT all 12 boy parts. 11.5 boy parts went to waste.

Then we finished off the evening with FLAMING DESSERT! Sour cherries and pineapples flambe over ice cream. Delicious!

Edited to add name of restaurant:
Csokonai Söröző

And description of my dish:
The favourite of Count Butler
Ragout made of sour cream, paprika, mushrooms, cocks comb and testicles served with turkey breasts and uniquely fried potatoes.



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Loving your blog. When do you arrive Austin?

Love, Mom

Unknown said...

A few minutes after Saturday midnight. I should be wide awake though - only 5pm Hungary time.

Sirocco said...

We just had our male cat neutered, so we could probably get the removed boy parts and mail them to you on ice if you have discovered a taste for them.

Unknown said...

NEM KOSZONOM.

Sarah said...

Well you have certainly one upped me. I cant say at all that I have ever tried chicken boy parts.

I'm guessing since you ate a partial piece that it didnt taste like... chicken (like uh everything else does that is new and maybe somewhat exciting).|

That being aside I have really enjoyed reading this <3

Unknown said...

Wow! Don't think I have EVER seen a recipe for that. Will have to get a blow-by-blow when we get together next.

Love, Mom