Sunday, November 18, 2007

~Day 13~ Guess the Number of Forms of Transportation

So today I took a:
1) Taxi (from the Hilton to Vaci St). Vaci St (Vaci Utca) is very high end. Budapest is kinda like Austin prices. Debrecen is kinda like "everything is on sale 50% off". London is like "convenience store prices" Even at Austin prices though, I could only window-shop. This worked out fine because I was schlepping all my stuff with me because I had checked out of my hotel.

At some point during my trip, I grew some "lady-balls" because I asked the taxi driver to drop me off where I couldn't walk to the train station. So I had to figure out how to use:

2) The Budapest Metro. This was not hard. In fact, it was easier than the London one. It was clean and nice. Granted, there are only 3 lines on the Budapest Metro, but keep in mind nobody speaks English. And my latest words in Hungarian (alma = apple and ananaslay = pineapple) were not useful. I even transferred lines. I took the Metro to the:

3) Keleti Train Station. Ok talk about no English. I had a wonderful guy at the Debrecen office reserve a ticket for me and even wrote me a little letter in Hungarian telling the person what was going on. I have no idea what it said but it seemed to work. I pulled it up on my Blackberry and stuck the face of the Blackberry to the ticket window. The lady read it and seemed to know what was going on. I heard that some movies had been filmed in Budapest and I would believe it if you said this train station was a set for a depressing movie set during a World War. I took the IC train to Debrecen. Cold and rainy is a lot colder than just cold btw. When I got off the train, I took:

4) The Debrecen Tram. There couldn't be an easier tram line than this one. There is only one line. It costs 215 forint to ride it (about $1.25). I took the tram to Debrecen Plaza. Then I:

5) Walked to the Lycium. :)

Took about 3.5 hours on the train from Budapest to Debrecen. So I watched Ratatouille.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Ok, first... so sorry that I am so late in catching up on your marvelous adventure! I am COMPLETELY jealous!

Second, very proud of you! Quite the traveller are you!

Last, really unrelated, but LOVED Ratatouille. Made me happy!

Enjoy your trip... I will keep reading now...